Like any other mechanical device, an air conditioning unit eventually will break down. This is a fact that every homeowner or commercial building owner must factor into their annual budget, as it’s very difficult to predict when these essential major appliances will finally kick the bucket. However, there are several factors that can impact the average air conditioner life expectancy in Phoenix AZ and some things you can easily do to extend the life of your AC unit.
Here are some facts to consider.
First – How Long Does an AC Unit Last in Phoenix AZ?
According the United States Department of Energy, the typical central air conditioning system has a life expectancy of 13-15 years. However, this is a broad stroke that covers data coming in from all 50 US States. In Arizona, due to the extreme heat, weather conditions and other factors, the typical AC unit life expectancy can be reduced by as much as 20% in many cases.
Two items that typically cause an AC unit in Phoenix to break down sooner than other areas of the US including:
The Extreme Heat: When an AC system has to work harder to cool a room or a house, it causes undo stress on the complete system. This is why many AC contractors recommend keeping the temperature setting at a conservative temperature frequently – so that once the room or home is cooled, the AC unit can slowly maintain the temps.
The Extreme Outside Elements: We get lots of wind and blowing sand in Phoenix, so no matter how good an AC unit is encased, a lot of this debris finds itself inside your cooling unit and can prematurely wear out parts.
Second – Are There Ways to Increase the Lifespan of an AC Unit Outside?
After looking at these first two major reasons for AC units breaking down, it might seem to be a daunting task to increase the lifespan of an AC unit in Phoenix. However, it’s really not that difficult. There are two things any homeowner can do to significantly extend the shelf life of any cooling unit:
- Replace your indoor filters every month. If your cooling unit can breathe easy and air can circulate throughout your home without restrictions, the AC unit will work much more efficiently. This also helps to reduce strain on the device and will save you money on utility bills as well.
- Have routine cooling service in Phoenix completed twice per year. Before flipping your AC on for the year, have a professional HVAC service technician service your AC unit. They’ll open it up and clean out all of that dirt and debris that blows into the unit in the winter season.
Third – Are There Ways to Increase the Lifespan of an Air Conditioner from Inside Your Home?
Besides replacing your indoor filters and scheduling regular air conditioner tune-ups there are not too many things that you can do inside your home to increase the lifespan of an air conditioner. However, the US Department of Energy suggests the following tips to reduce the onset of respiratory illness and will also reduce the workload for your AC system:
- Keep your thermostat set at an average temperature. Instead of setting your AC to be 65 during the day and 76 at night, keep it set at 72 around the clock.
- Dust your vents often during the summer. When you reduce the amount of particulate matter and dust entering the AC system, your indoor air quality will improve. However, it will also allow the AC unit to breathe easier – consuming less energy in the short and long term.
It’s always a good idea for homeowners and commercial building owners to keep track of the life expectancy of their cooling and heating systems. However, by staying proactive in regards to cooling system maintenance and completing a few indoor and outdoor maintenance checks yourself, you can prolong that expensive AC replacement service by a few years or more.
Contact Hays Cooling & Heating today at (602) 714-8270 or email us to learn more about extending the life of your AC unit, system tune-ups, maintenance and repair services! It Pays To Call Hays!
Read related articles:
- The Ultimate Phoenix Home Air Conditioning Checklist
- 3 Expert Tips To Avoid Costly HVAC Repairs in Phoenix
- Best Types of Air Conditioners for Intense Phoenix Summer Heat
Read the full story at: http://hayscoolingandheating.com/average-air-conditioner-life-expectancy-in-phoenix-az/