The summer haboob dust storm is something that simply comes with the territory of living in the Phoenix Valley. These large dust storms can be rather intense, brining blowing sand, dirt, debris, sticks, and sometimes heavy rain that can cause serious damage to your home – and the cooling systems outside of the house. There are a few things that conscious homeowners can do to avoid AC damage from a haboob in Phoenix that are cost effective and will not require a lot of hard labor.
Here are a few tips to consider:
Tip #1 – Take Time to Prepare – Before the Haboob Season Approaches
Being proactive about preparation is the best way to stay off crisis situations – regardless of the individual issue. When it comes to haboobs, there is really no way to predict when they will arrive. This is why it’s so critical to take preventative measures to find out what causes damage to outdoor cooling units, so that you can remove any potential obstacles that could lead to expensive repairs. Here are a few of the common items that cause damage to AC damage during a Phoenix dust storm.
- Dust and debris gets trapped inside the AC unit after the storm
- Tree branches break off and hit the AC unit
- Heavy lawn furniture or other loose items hit the AC unit
As you can see, most of the damage is due to objects that either hit the unit, or become trapped inside the unit after the storm hits. The best way to reduce the potential for damage is to eliminate the issues:
- If you are home when a haboob hits, turn off your AC unit.
- After the storm passes, take a few minutes to remove all the dust and debris that surrounds your AC unit. This will ensure that once your system turns on again, the dust won’t be sucked into the system or the fans.
- Trim your tree branches frequently in the summer season – and remove any loose branches that most likely will break off with extreme wind.
Tip #2 – Understand That Phoenix Dust Storms Can Be Intense
Many Phoenix area homeowners are pretty good about understanding how intense a haboob can be – and the damage it can cause. However, there are a few things that you can also do to that will help you avoid damaged to AC coils such as:
- Make sure you wash off your AC unit after a haboob hits. The simple act of washing the outside of your cooling unit before turning it back on will remove the dust and dirt that you can’t see that is trapped inside the outer filter system.
- Consider adding a surge protector to your outdoor cooling unit. Sometimes Haboobs come with lightning and can cause a power spike. The surge protector will help reduce electrical damage that is common with these intense summer storms.
Tip #3 – Do Things That Will Help Avoid Structural Damage to Your AC Unit
There are a few things you can do to reduce the potential of structural damage to your AC unit during a summer haboob in Phoenix. Consider building a shed or shelter unit that covers your AC system outdoors. This will significantly reduce the potential of excess dirt and dust from surrounding your AC after a haboob. It can also reduce the chance of large items hitting your AC system during heavy wind events.
The haboob is a freak of nature that can’t be predicted but can cause a ton of damage to homes in the Phoenix area. However, by taking some proactive measures and knowing what to do during and after a haboob in regards to your AC system, you’ll be better prepared to reduce damage to your home and your cooling system.
In need of home air conditioning repair in Phoenix after a nasty haboob? Then call the Hays Cooling & Heating team today for all of your air conditioning needs. It Pays To Call Hays! Call 602-714-8270 today.
Read related articles:
- How To Maintain Air Conditioner Efficiency In Phoenix AZ
- Top Air Conditioning Maintenance Tips From AC Experts In AZ
- 3 Expert Tips To Avoid Costly HVAC Repairs In Phoenix
Read the full story at: http://hayscoolingandheating.com/avoid-ac-damage-from-a-haboob-in-phoenix/